Wednesday, November 28, 2012


I searched high and low for the clip from La Misma Luna that I wanted to write about, but to no avail. So subtitle quotes will have to do. It’s when Carlitos is eating lunch with his dad, Oscar.

–Where’s your mother? (Oscar)
–In Los Angeles. Can you take me to her? (Carlitos)
–Rosario didn’t come with you?
 –I’m traveling alone.
–How long has she been in Los Angeles?
–Four years.
–Four years?! That’s a long time to be away isn’t it?
–Not as long as you. I’d never even met you. But if you take me to Los Angeles maybe you and mom can make up.
–She would never forgive me.
–I think she would. I know I would.

Carlitos proceeds to pay for the check when it arrives which brings tears to Oscar’s eyes. I couldn’t help but think of the theme of redemption as I watched this. It sounded like Oscar made some mistakes in the past, but Carlitos readily forgave him. I felt like him paying for the check was his way of saying that he forgives his dad for not being there all growing up. It’s a touching scene that gets reduced to nothing when his dad never actually shows up to give him a ride. So, Oscar had this redemption dangling in front of him and he turned it away? Why did he do that? What drives a person to reject forgives and a second chance?

Obviously the theme of redemption reminded me of that scene from The Mission where Rodrigo is “released” from his burden and starts to cry. It seems as though Oscar and Rodrigo had a similar reaction to their being forgiven. Why then were the outcomes so different? What causes someone to either accept or reject redemption and another chance to start over? My initial response is that they feel like they have done too much wrong to be forgiven or they don’t think that the second chance would actually work or they just don’t want to change. But how does that response in this movie go with the plot as opposed to Oscar accepting the forgiveness? In my mind as I was watching it I could just imagine Oscar driving him back and all of them ending up as a happy little family. I realized though that this movie is about portraying real life, not some picture perfect kids show. It’s about showing the world the rough, not too pretty lives of immigrants. Would it have had the same effect on viewers if it were reversed?

No comments:

Post a Comment